Pay: $7,500 - $11,500 plus travel
Reporting directly to the Program Manager, the educators implement the academic component of the Proctor Academy Ocean Classroom term-at-sea aboard schooner Roseway. This award-winning program is entering its 26th year of existence and has played an important role in the lives of hundreds of high school students. In addition to implementing the academic component of the fall voyage, each educator has the latitude to play a significant role in the evolution of the program as it moves forward into the future. As for skill sets, we are looking for folks who are energetic, capable, and flexible teachers; can play a significant role in the efficient, safe running of the vessel; have the ability to meet goals and objectives in changing and sometimes challenging environments; have the capacity to be both decisive and flexible in working as part of the ship’s company; and possess solid organization and communication skills.
Skills & Qualifications
- Candidates must be energetic and positive individuals.
- Candidates must have documented maritime experience. While this does not require that viable candidates possess particular licensure (US Coast Guard, other), a good candidate must have spent enough time at sea to know what they’re getting themselves into!
- Candidates must have solid teaching and communication skills.
- Candidates must be flexible and willing to adapt to the changing conditions that are all part of life at sea
- Viable candidates must be mature and well-grounded.
- Finally, solid candidates must appreciate that they represent Proctor Academy and the World Ocean School to the highest levels.
- Assist in curriculum development and gathering of appropriate educational materials.
- Prepare and deliver the curriculum both while underway and at port stops along the voyage track.
- Work with the Program Manager in developing appropriate assessment systems for each class taught.
- Work with the Captain and Mates in planning daily activities and schedules.
- Assist with planning shore excursions based upon the itinerary that include such areas as service-learning projects, community outreach, cultural immersion, and environmental/natural history discovery.
- Participate as an integral part of Roseway’s working professional crew.
- Help integrate other members of Roseway’s professional crew as educators in the delivery of broad aspects of the curriculum.
- Serve as positive role models for the students who are part of Ocean Classroom.
- Provide written/photographic updates to the Program Manager throughout the program.
Please send cover letter and resume to either:
Brooks Bicknell, Program Director Proctor Academy Ocean Classroom
603-735-6205 | email@example.com
Eden Leonard, President and Executive Director World Ocean School aboard Roseway 617-816-9247 | firstname.lastname@example.org