The Deckhand Educator AmeriCorps Program aboard Roseway is a year-long practicum in sail training, teaching at sea, and community-building with youth. As an AmeriCorps volunteer working and living aboard the historic schooner Roseway, crew members receive exceptional benefits, along with making an impactful contribution to the world.The goal of this program is to train and support excellent maritime educators and role models for World Ocean School’s student programs aboard the schooner Roseway.
HOW TO APPLY: Please complete our application. If accepted, you will be required to have a drug test, background check, medical exam with physician's signature, a valid passport, and a Transportation Workers Identity Card (TWIC).
Deckhand applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Interested candidates available to begin during the next three months should submit an application. World Ocean School staff will keep qualified candidates on file to meet future hiring needs.
Skills & Qualifications
- An interest in furthering the educational mission of the World Ocean School
- Self-awareness, knowing when to step forward or take a step back
- Willing to live by the rules and regulations aboard the ship
- Commitment to execution and follow through
- Energetic, flexible and adaptable to changing environments and schedules
- Able to model good behavior for students and serve as an educator
- Able to be an active member of a team
- Mature well-grounded sense of personal ethics, evident in the individual’s integrity and responsibility—upholding the highest standards in public and personal relations
- Capable of representing the World Ocean School favorably
Please reach out to Vice President and Director of Operations, Steve Kirk, and Program Manager, Cara James for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.